Sunday, December 03, 2006

Makahiya… pretending

I touched the young makahiya (Mimosa pudica L) plant in my mom’s garden and, as expected, its leaves folded. Pleased like a child, I looked for other “victims” to touch. I saw three nearby, which I touched one after the other.

Again, I looked for some more, and there, near the potted peach euphorbia, were two makahiya sprouts. I moved closer and laid my killer touch upon them.

Neither budged. My brows creased. Puzzled, I looked closer. As I examined them I realized they weren’t really makahiya plants… just pretending.

Disappointed, I uprooted the “imposters,” thinking to myself that some people are like those con makahiyas; they are so good at pretending they seem real. So much so that it often needs cunning and takes some time before one can figure their game.

Ah. Why can’t some people just be themselves? Why do they need to pretend to be who they are not?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ms. Benosa! Are you sure it wasn’t Poinsettia you uprooted? Magudnes, where did you copy this writing style?

HAR HAR HAR!

brainteaser said...

Copy? Me, copy a writing style? No sir. I didn't. Apay, adda kapadak? Waaaaaaaaaaa!

And no again. It wasn't Poinsettia. Sika met. Why would I uproot a Poinsettia plant ket isu't maysa kadagiti paboritok a mula?

Anonymous said...

See? I touched a MUTANT makahiya and lo, instead of folding in, kumagat!
Hek hek hek!

Oist Ms. Benosa, those young sprouts you uprooted were also makahiyas. They were just still innocent.

Or why not immune from your killer touch –like me uh? Hehehehe!

brainteaser said...

Pssssst! Howdy, Mutant?