Friday, December 22, 2006

Classics and me: Changing my stand

In my February 8, 2006 post (The Challenge), I challenged myself to read eight classics, in addition to some non-classics I planned to finish this year. The challenge was for me to find out if I’d ever be able to stand classics, which I’d always labeled as boring, their language and themes being reflective of eras I can hardly relate to.

Eight classics after, here I am, ready to concede that my friends Salve and Tayns are right in thinking that classics do present interesting facets of the lives and events in the authors’ respective milieus.

Needless to say, I did enjoy my foray into the world of classical literature. I laughed at Tom Sawyer’s and Huckleberry Finn’s antics in Mark Twain’s The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Adventures of Huckleberry Finn; chuckled at Scout and Jem Finch’s frolics in Harper Lee’s To Kill a Mocking Bird; emphatized with Oliver in Charles Dickens’ Oliver Twist; wondered if indeed Pearl in Nathaniel Hawthorne’s Scarlet Letter was out of this world; flinched at Catherine and Heathcliff’s unapologetic brashness in Emily Bronte’s Wuthering Heights; lived with the gods and goddesses in Edith Hamilton’s Mythology; and laughed at Pettrucio’s wit and got shattered by Katherine’s “taming” in Shakespeare’s Taming of the Shrew.

I got so engrossed in the challenge that I no longer simply borrow classic books from friends. I have started collecting. Just last night, I bought a copy of Jane Austen’s Sense and Sensibility and Charles Dickens’ Great Expectations. And yesterday afternoon, Ellen gave me a copy of Shakespeare’s Much Ado about Nothing as a Christmas present.

So I am glad I made that challenge for myself. Not only was I able to conquer my “allergy” toward “Old English” but I also discovered a world beyond my turf. Now, I can say classics aren’t really so bad; thanks to Tayns and Salve for their encouragement. It took me quite some time before I got “infected” with their “afflictions,” but I’m glad I eventually managed to develop this “classic disorder.”



*One might ask how I fared in the non-classics. I am happy to say I was able to finish all the titles I listed — and more. I also enjoyed all the courtroom dramas in John Grisham’s The Pelican Brief, The Client, The Partner, The Chamber, The Runaway Jury and The Brethren; and a lot more (list to follow).

But while I did well in the non-classics and read most of the classics I dared require myself to finish, I must admit there were classic titles I failed to read: Jane Austen’s Emma and Mark Twain’s The Prince and the Pauper simply because I don’t yet have a copy of said works; and Milton’s Paradise Lost and Paradise Regained, which I did try to read, but did not quite finish, it being a poem and poem being not a favorite read of mine. I also have a copy of Ferdinand Marcos’ The New Society (it was my mom’s and it's not in the list) but I did not even touch it, politics (which I hate) being its theme.

So I guess I both lost and won the challenge. And that means I can — and will — buy the white gold necklace I’ve been wanting for myself. That is, if it’s still there. As for treating my friends to lunch or dinner, I don’t think there would be any problem with that. Anyway, it's Christmas.


** Just in case there are those who are thinking that my claims — that I am very busy and that I have read all these things — are conflicting, here’s the explanation: I always bring a book wherever I go. I read while waiting, while cueing and while traveling. I am such an impatient person that I always need to be doing something, lest I’d be very annoyed, especially when the person I’m supposed to meet don’t come on time. So bringing a book with me is like shooting two birds with one stone — it lets me cope with my reading program and helps prevent my temper from flaring when someone doesn't come close to my expectations.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas gril! I hate to say it but I really fo must say it... I told you so! maybe next time you'll believe us na... as for this comment of yours:
"I am such an impatient person that I always need to be doing something, lest I’d be very annoyed, especially when the person I’m supposed to meet don’t come on time."
You? wait for someone? in all the years that I have known you I can only count in one finger the instances when IT was you doing the waiting meaning coming early on a prearranged meeting... its always the other way around! hehehe... now girl, smile. lest santa thinks you were not a good girl after all and reclaim his gift...>:-)

brainteaser said...

He he he! Tayns! Bakit mo ko binisto?

Hey, it's only sa inyo ni Salve na malakas ang loob kong ma-late. Sa ibang mga lakad, believe it or not, lagi akong on time! Hah!

Speaking of Salve, alam mo bang may usapan kaming mag-lunch nung 24? Nung malapit na ko sa venue, nagtext no ko sa kanya. Alam mo ba ang sagot? Kakagising lang daw niya. Waaaaaaaaa!

So I said, sige, 5pm na lang tayo meet. Simba muna ako. She agreed. Nagkita kami ni Ogie sa church. Isinama ko siya sa appointment ko kay Salve. Guess what time dumating yung lukaret na yun? 5:45pm! Kaloka siya ha! At ang lakas ng loob sabihan si Ogie na si Ogie daw ang magbayad ng kinain namin! Ha ha! tawa na lang ng tawa yung brother ko sa kanya!

brainteaser said...

Ikaw, musta Christmas mo? Found some singkit guy na ba? He he he!

Ei girl, pa-email pala sa akin number mo diyan. Hinihingi ni Ogie. Papadala na naman xe siya sa US nung company nila, stop-over siya diyan.

Anonymous said...

Aw, believe me Tayns, she can be early but will hang behind beating the bushes spying on you first. Then she’ll show up pretending she is late.

Next time you make a rendezvous with her, watch her wicked eyes and the smile on her lips! hehehe!

Anonymous said...

dunu but you never mentioned reading the Holy Scriptures Ms. Benosa!

...read it, may make you less wicked hek hek hek!

lemisi: tell me about the 'blade and the chalice'!

brainteaser said...

The Holy Scriptures was not in my list. Read it a long time ago.

Ariel said...

The classics are always a well, a spring, a vast sea. They are a downpour many times over and we realize we have so many things to learn still. Happy new year!

brainteaser said...

Happy New Year!

Hello Sir Ariel. Welcome to my page. Mpadayawanak iti isasangbaymo, nangruna iti imbatim a mensahe.

Pudno ta kunam Manong. Isu met a nagbaliwak iti stand. Ken adda met gayam ti classics a "napintas" ti Inglesna(meaning, saan a kas idiay probproblemaek a medyo narigat a basaen ti contruction na).

Just finished Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility. Isu't binasak while traveling (to and from NV). Magustuak ti panangiyablatna iti balikasna, nupay adu dagiti nadlawko a words (spelling) na a duma iti agdama nga usartayo. ~shew, shewed, chuse, staid (stayed) ken adu pay.

brainteaser said...

Hello Tatang.
Sika met. Saanko met nga ugali daydiay a. Sika laeng ti inkasdiayko, because I arrived 15 minutes too early. E adda pay kasarsaritam idi simmangpetak, e di I loitered around tapos saka ak laeng immasideg idi time'en. Huuuu!

And let me clear myself. With Tayns and Salve, dati pag may usapan kami, ganito ang style ni Tayns. Magsi-set siya ng time, say 4:00. Darating siya doon ng 3:15. And then, magti-text sa amin ng "Girls, dito na ako. Where are you?"

So kahit dumating kami ni Salve ng 4pm, late na kami for her.

(Hey girl, come here and defend yourself. He he he. Btw: Sent you an email. Luv yeah.)

Anonymous said...

HO! Loitered or watched me flirt around?

Ei Tayns, tell me, what was Santa's gift to Ms. Benosa? Do you think she deserves it?

HAR HAR HAR!