Friday, November 17, 2006

Sense of belonging...

I blended well. In my jeans. Amazing!

I’m talking about last night. We got invited to Sen. Ed Angara’s book launching. Or, to be technically correct, to the launching of Sen. Angara’s biography written by Nick Joaquin — one of his last works before he died. And to be more correct still, the invitations were actually for our editor-in-chief, Doc Raffy, and contributing editor, Ms. Roselle who wrote the article on Senator Angara for last month’s cover feature. But Doc Raffy is in Chicago and Ms. Roselle is in Singapore.

We were working on tight schedule. Up until last night, I was still writing an article for the magazine. But it was imperative that someone from our team would attend the event. I knew it had to be me and Chie. So we went, an hour late (Geee, they started an hour late, too, so it seemed we arrived just in time. He he.)

It was a political-social event, that much I knew. I had expected many dignitaries to be there. I was not wrong. There were GMA, Sen. Villar, Cong. Joe de V., and many others.

But I was wrong for thinking that I would not feel okay being in a politician-dominated event. I felt alright. In fact, I felt I belonged, despite the facts that I was not properly dressed for the occasion and, more importantly, that I hate politics, and politicians aren’t my favorite hang-out buddies.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Politicians did you say Ms. Benosa? Next time you are with them, come get my James Bond eyeglasses. You’ll be amazed to see how much of our taxes are in their pockets, or right inside their stomachs! I want to believe that they deserve it -but gee too, they are nothing but crocs waiting till you believe that they are sleeping and harmless.

And bof, they’ll not only ask for your legs, they’ll also grab your soul!

Thank your press card you can get near or almost near them! How about the ordinary citizen? Aw, they’ll love to extend their hands only during elections!

Where I am living now, you can share the bench with the PM while eating your sandwich in the park! No bodyguards pretending to be the president themselves!

And would you expect a Philippine politician to eat tomato sandwich for lunch? Nah! They’ll think it’s degrading.... so as the common Filipino mentality!

hehehehe!

brainteaser said...

That I know very well, my Tatang. And like I said, I don't consider them to be perfect hang-out buddies.

brainteaser said...

I got na your point, Tatang (medyo late nga lang). My article pala does sound like I feel I am one of them.

That's not the meaning I wished to convey. All I was trying to say was: I didn't feel alienated in their presence (as I thought I would considering how I personally feel about them and how many of our kababayans feel "unworthy" to be near the people whom they elected.)

Anonymous said...

there's always good things that come out of anything even from the bad politicians that are being portrayed. they are people like us.

brainteaser said...

There are good politicians, and there are bad politicians. I know of several who I can respect, but still, when I talk of politicians in general, I'd maintain my position: that politicians are after my taxes.

Now, when we talk of a particular politician, it is then that I will take into consideration who he is as a person and as a leader. Is he good or bad? Is he honest or corrupt? Is he an effective leader or not?

And when we talk of a person who happens to be a politician, I can overlook the politician part, provided that he is good.

Anonymous said...

...and what are the parameters you’ll consider to use when you ‘measure’ a GOOD politician Ms. Benosa?

brainteaser said...

'Pay interesadoka, Tatang? Politikoka kadi met? Wenno adda planom a tumaray...

... ta adda agkamat iti badang? he he!