Friday, August 24, 2007

Publishing Responsibility and Paper Integrity

(Malu Fernandez and her 'Diva-ciousness')

I initially did not want to write about it because I thought if I do, I’d just make the person in question — Ms. Malu Fernandez, a Manila Standard Today society columnist — become even more famous (she is now a big name in the Pinoy blogosphere because of a controversial article she wrote for People Asia, a monthly lifestyle magazine).

So many hurtful words have been hurled at her in practically every blog where her name is mentioned, that I don’t think I’d be adding any more effect if I also lash at her. So I try not to (although I admit that to be really nice in this case would entail a lot of effort).

What made me decide to write about her any way, despite my initial restraint, is the fact that most of the bashings I’ve read about her infamous article had been directed at her. How about the magazine that published her piece?

If her piece was self-published (meaning, it appeared on her blog), I would have simply called it rubbish and I would have just moved on to another blog. I would not even waste my time leaving a comment on it. But her piece appeared in a glossy magazine, for goodness sake! What were the editors thinking paying for and publishing an article that contains nothing but bitching and whining, and reflects the author’s palpable insecurity?

If the editors of People Asia had been doing their job, the article should have gone straight to the trash can. There simply is nothing in the article that's worth publishing; I wonder why they published it anyway.

The editors of Manila Standard Today are also not blameless. They should have advised Malu against writing her 'apology' which isn't an apology, but a defense of her earlier article. Could they have not known that her statement would further infuriate the public? I doubt it. I'm sure they have foreseen it.

The editors of both publications (primarily People Asia) may say that what they published are solely the author's opinion, not the paper's, but editors can always choose not to publish a piece if they think it would compromise the paper. That's primarily what editors are for, in the first place.

Another reason I decided to react to her "apology"is the fact that in it, she did not really apologize. She stood by her article, calling her piece “funny and witty” and insinuating that those who found fault in it were either simply stupid or belonging to the “have-nots and wannabe’s” [read: poor]. Her original article is already condescending to the highest level you'd think she cannot get any worse, but you read her subsequent statement and you know you'd just been proven wrong. Her "apology" is so unbelievably full of vile.

Before reading her statement, I thought I knew humor and wit, but now I am not sure. And I don’t think I’d still want to be called witty or funny if to be either or both would mean writing rubbish materials. I think I’d rather be a dullard and a bore.

Ay, wait lang. Didn't I say I’d try to be nice?


_____________
Click on the following links: First page, Second Page to read Ms. Fernandez’ piece published in People Asia.

Read Ms. Fernandez' subsequent defense of her piece (published in her Manila Standard Today column): Defense


UPDATE

It looks like as I was posting my piece, Ms. Fernandez was issuing an apology. Please read her apology below:

"I am humbled by the vehement and heated response provoked by my article entitled 'From Boracay to Greece!' which came out in the June 2007 issue of People Asia. To say that this article was not meant to malign, hurt or express prejudice against the OFWs now sounds hollow after reading through all the blogs from Filipinos all over the world. I am deeply apologetic for my insensitivity and the offensive manner in which this article was written, I hear you all and I am properly rebuked. It was truly not my intention to malign hurt or express prejudice against OFWs.

As the recent recipient and target of death threats, hate blogs, and deeply personal insults, I now truly understand the insidiousness of discrimination and prejudice disguised as humor. Our society is bound together by human chains of kindness and decency. I have failed to observe this and I am now reaping the consequences of my actions. It is my fervent hope that the lessons that Ive learned are not lost on all those who through anonymous blogs, engaged in bigotry, discrimination, and hatred ( against overweight individuals , for example ).

I take full responsibility for my actions and my friends and family have nothing to do with this. To date I have submitted my resignation letters to both the Manila Standard and People Asia, on that note may this matter be laid to rest."

5 comments:

Torbik said...

I'm rattling my jewelries now in happiness!

Well it's a pity she now feels like Rushdie after Ayatollah Khomeini issued a fatwa ordering his death. But she's no Rushdie.

Good thing she apologized.

brainteaser said...

Hey Torbik! Yeah good thing, really. At first she didn't want to...

Oist... is it true ikakasal na si Kuya Nhayds?

Anonymous said...

“Humbled” she said in her apology! That’s not enough. She should sink her head in the toilet of the economy class cabin of the plane and I’ll flush her down above the Aegean sea!

Ow, she won’t fit in anyway.

And ei, she also looked like a lost hippo in front of the Parthenon!

hehehe!

Torbik said...

si nhayds ikakasal? nde pa naman... but he's very much in love these days, very much like a chihuahua on crack. hehe.

check out his friendster page para makilala mo si labophislayp.

:-)

brainteaser said...

Been to his friendster, di ko mapinpoint sino yung girl! Daan kaya ako diyan one of these days? Treat nyo ba ako ng lunch? Hehehe