Monday, August 27, 2007

One memorable experience

Johnny Hidalgo, Aida Tiama, SEB, F. Sionil Jose, Jovy Amorin


My first thought when I read Manong Johnny Hidalgo’s invitation to a poetry reading where I was to read three Iluko poems with other Iluko writers at La Solidaridad Bookstore, which is owned and managed by National Artist for Iluko Literature, F. Sionil Jose, was that it would be a good learning experience for me. So I excitedly said yes. I did not even bother to ask pertinent questions about the event.

It was only the following day, when Jake Ilac sent me a text message informing me he couldn’t go, that I learned that the event to which we were invited was an exclusive poetry reading with PEN (Poets, Essayists, Novelists — an association of writers in English and Tagalog) members. It was then that it hit me: I am no poet! And I haven’t done nor watched professional poetry reading before. Could I possibly do it? Slowly, feelings of inadequacy started welling up inside me, but I immediately bottled it, telling myself it would be easy and that I could do it.

My psyching up effort must have worked, for soon I was again excited about the whole idea. That is, until I got another message from Manong Jovy Amorin asking me if I was going to the poetry reading tomorrow. I was puzzled, because in my mind, the event was days away, only to realize that I got the date mixed up. (I thought August 25 was next Wednesday pa.)

I started to panic, because I did not have a poem by any Iluko poet ready, and I wanted to practice a little so I would not mess up. I wasn’t sure if I had any anthology of Iluko poems at my place (I remembered I’ve given some of my books to Dad). Good thing my ever reliable Dungngo is always there for me. He did not only re-schedule his hospital appointment so he could be with me before my performance, but he also looked for short poems for me.

While talking online, I asked Dungngo to listen to me as I practiced. Until now I can still imagine him shaking his head every time I mispronounced a word, or made a wrong intonation. I almost concluded that not only can’t I write a good Iluko poem, but also can’t even read. It took me several tries before he said I was getting better, although he still didn’t think I was doing great. Hmp!

The poetry reading? It was great! No, I'm not talking about my performance. I'm referring to the whole experience. Manong Jovy, Manang Aida and I felt so glad and honored we were invited to the event. We are all looking forward to another one like it. Me especially.


_______
Caption:
Other photo Writers Domingo Landicho, Juan Hidalgo, Jr. and Playwright Malou Jacob;

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ow, you'll make a fine Ilokano version of Elisabeth Browning MSB.

'guray, immisemka met laeng?

brainteaser said...

You think so Buddy?

Sometimes I am not too sure.

Siempre, naisemak met ah. Kitaem tay pic.

:-)

Anonymous said...

then the charm was there, not to mention your sweet voice!

do it again if you get the chance buddy!

brainteaser said...

Thank you. I've recorded an English one... hope I'd be able to figure out how to post it, hehehe...

Margaret T said...

Madam, Ilocano po ba si sir F. Sionil Jose?

I love his Mass!