Sunday, August 26, 2007

A chapter lived... and completed

We’ve finally wrapped up our September issue of H&L last Friday, after all the delays and hassles and nasty stress we’ve been through, caused by the holiday (last Monday was Ninoy Aquino day) and the floods last week which prompted management to cancel work on Wednesday and Friday.

As I watched our layout artist, Manong Gary, save the PDF files onto a CD, I heaved a sigh of relief. One issue down! Then I realized it was to be my last. Suddenly, surprisingly, I was enveloped with melancholy.

I've always known I would feel sad about leaving my friends behind. But the melancholy I felt last Friday was more for the realization that, starting September 3, I will no longer hold the reins of H&L. Another chapter of my life finished. I corked that thought, reminding myself that this is what I’ve always wanted.

Having worked for the company for almost three years, I think I've learned enough for the next phase — my ultimate career goal: to work freelance. Now, I’m ready to move on. I hope.

I do understand that in this new stage, I will be facing a different set of challenges, foremost of which is the fact that there will no longer be regular paychecks. I hope the preparations I’ve done would help me get through at least the first three months of my “bumship.” After that, I should be okay. I should have already settled by December. I hope. I pray.

4 comments:

Admin said...

Ania ti next chapter iti biagmo gayyem?

Sayang a talaga ti oportunidad a ma-meetko in personal ni Apo F. Sionil Jose, one of the great ilocano writer in history.

brainteaser said...

Ei gayyem! Ag-freelance ti planok, gayyem. Na-drain'ak idiay trabahok, sika! Nyehehe...

Wen ngarud gayyem. It's a great experience... I'm planning to set an appointment with him. Bagaankanto ta agkuadata no adda wayam. Will also invite LJ. If you want, we can do a profile of him. You do the Iluko, I'll do the English. :-)

Diay bookstore na, gayyem... Wow! It's not so big, yet it contains hard-to-find books. Whew!

Framelia said...

hi, sherma...this is the piece i've been looking for since chie informed me of your resignation. congratulations for making this decision! it's a lot of risk, but, hey, if you won't take a risk, you'd stagnate :-)

and..welcome to the world of freelancing!!!! \0/

brainteaser said...

Fram! Girlalu... I am pleasantly surprised to see you here. Dearee, thanks for being a friend.

Yeah, I believe in what you just said, friend. Do drop by again, please...