Thursday, January 10, 2008

UP Diliman Dorm Razed by Fire

A sad news to UPians: the Narra Residence Hall, one of the oldest dormitories in UP Diliman, was razed by fire hours after the year-long centennial celebration kick off last Tuesday. (The kick off started sometime Tuesday night; the fire is said to have started Wednesday dawn).

This may no longer news to many, but it was to me about five hours ago. I was cleaning my room when a friend, Arnold, also a UP graduate, sent me a YM. No, not to tell me about the fire, but to talk about wedding bells (his and his girl friend; and mine and my Dungngo).

Then I asked him about the centennial kick off. He said he did not manage to go to UP that night. Then he mentioned about the fire. Waaaa!

I tried to remember what I was doing when the fire started. I think I must already be off to dreamland by then. I remember I finished writing an Ilokano short story about 2:30am Wednesday, and went to bed immediately after shutting down my PC. That must be why I wasn’t awoken by the sirens of the fire trucks.

Ah, so sad. Maybe especially so for the thousands who have stayed in that dorm when they were students. As Arnold, a former Narra resident, said in our YM conversation, “Narra lives in our hearts na lang. sniff. hikbi. singhot.”

Tsk!


Click here to watch the GMA newscast about the fire.

Click here to read a PDI report on the fire.

No comments: