Sunday, January 06, 2008

8 Goals for 2008

Goal setting, that’s what I do whenever I have time to plan my next steps, especially right before or after I make a jump. I don’t like resolutions mainly because I have yet to meet a person who has actually been successful in making his or her resolutions happen.

One of the things why resolutions don’t work is that many make them just for the sake of having resolutions for the New Year, without the necessary commitment to make them come true. Another one is that, most often, many just list the things they want to change or achieve without identifying the things they must do to make them a reality.

So it’s goal setting I do. The main difference (in my humble opinion) between goals and resolutions is that the former tends to be more realistic than the latter. Also, when one sets goals, one necessarily identifies the things that might hinder him or her from achieving those goals and the things he or she can and must do to achieve those goals despite the barriers. He or she may or may not write the hows, but written or not, these things have to be in his or her mind.

Writing and posting my goals work, not only because I am reminded of them every time I open my blog, but also because friends who have read them ask me how it’s going. My first attempt was sometime in 2005 when I challenged myself to read a number of classic literature in a year. My friends were very supportive, asking me how I was doing (and teasing me about how late I was at realizing I should be reading classics) and suggesting good titles for me to read. Salve even lent me several classics from her extra-huge collection.

There is some sort of good pressure when my goals are written for everyone to see, that there is a better chance that I achieve (most of) them. Also, family and friends tend to align their goals and activities with mine, so as to help me achieve them.

So what are my goals for this year? Here they are:

Finish my studies. This has been mentioned a bit too often in my goals. Sometime in 2006, I actually decided to ditch it, but someone got into the picture and convinced me to finish it. So now, I plan to do the thesis. Anyway, it’s just this kalokang thesis that is standing between me and my diploma.

Travel. This year, I plan to visit any three of these local tourist spots: Palawan, Callao Caves, Boracay, Bicol, Abra or Sagada and any one of these South East Asian countries: Malaysia, Thailand, or Indonesia. You guessed it right: it’s still in accordance with my dream to break into travel writing genre.

Pursue my entrepreneurial spirit. Even when I was much younger, I had always dreamed of eventually owning my own business, although I was not sure I’d eventually learn how to manage a business and I’d have a capital. What’s more, I did not know the ins and outs of a good business; couldn’t even think of what business to put up. But now, thanks to the influence of my brother who set up his own firm with some of his friends almost immediately after he passed the board exams, and of the people I am close to who had successfully crossed over to business, I think I am now ready to try my hand at it. Right now, I have several seemingly good business ideas. I hope the feasibility studies would turn out positive.

Write and publish short stories. During the past three months since I quitted my work, I devoted my time to practicing my writing skills. I think I’ve done enough practice; it’s time that I do real stuff. Of course, I’ll still be writing some stuff for my blogs (how can I not? hehe), but I must devote more time now pursuing my fiction writing dream.

Continue with my self-training on adobe and other graphic programs. And how about learning to do web design? Manong Ricco, who installed Flash in my computer last month, says it’s easy. A bit tricky, he says, but it’s alright once you’ve got the hang of it. Why not?

Get into crafts (besides beadworks which I already am into) and learn some livelihood skills. I had tried to enroll in dressmaking last year, but the class was already full so I was advised to do it this summer. I’ll try to be early this time. I still do some beadworks (yes, I make most of my accessories) but I’d also love to learn candle and soap making.

Become a regular contributor to some national magazines. Besides H&L, of course. I’m already in contact with some, and I hope they’d react positively to my sample works. Sana! :-)


I said 8 goals, but listed only 7. There’s another one, of course, but I prefer to keep it off the visible list for a while. Smile! Hehehehehe

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ei Buddy, is this the Trevi Fountain?

Okay,I'm tossing a coin!

:)

brainteaser said...

Make a wish first, Buddy! :-)

Anonymous said...

girl, samahan kita sa bicol. hehehe

how are you?

brainteaser said...

Hay naku girl, last year ko pa yun gustong puntahan. Hmmm, come to think of it, many years ago pa. Waaaaa! tara! Huuuuu!

Anonymous said...

Ako ang samahan mo Manay Salve. I want to see that place where Claudine is making 'gata' na naka-kamison!

:)

Anonymous said...

sa sorsogon yun, tatang. may hot spring pa dun kaya lang protected area, di na pwede paliguan.

brainteaser said...

Nyehehehe! Mawawala pa pala kayo kung kayong dalawa ang magsama! :-) Girl, naku, ingat ka pag si Tatang ang kasama mo. Laging nawawala yan. Bili ka ng tali, talian mo siya sa leeg at hila-hilain saan ka man magpunta.

Unless, you fancy your name being announced at the information center:

'Tinatawagan ng pansin si Ms. Salve XX. Hinihintay po kayo ng inyong kasamang si VF dito sa Information Booth...'

or how about this:

'Tinatawagan po ng pansin ang kasama ng matandang lalaki, edad 40++ pero mukhang 90, na kung maaari ay magtungo dito sa Information Center ng mall ngayon din dahil 'di po namin siya mapahinto sa pag-atungal...'

Nyehehehehe!

brainteaser said...

More announcement from the information desk:

"Yun pong kasama ng nawawalang matandang lalaki na nakasuot ng hindi magkaparehang tsinelas, kung mamari po ay pumunta dito sa Infromation Center... pakibilis lang po dahil malakas ang atungal niya at hindi po namin maintindihan ang Tagalog niya! Parang awa nyo na ho..."

Anonymous said...

HAK HAK HAK HAK!

HEK HEK HEK HEK!

I hope Salve and Tayns will not see this!

No comment dahil totoo, the reason why I always need a bg when I'm there in Mla!

Pero huwag ka, ganda ng ngiti nung receptionist noong pinatawag ko si Yaya!

HAR HAR HAR!

Anonymous said...

girl, aarkila ako nung cart sa mall, 15 lang yun per hour. pasasakayin ko dun si tatang nang di mawala! may basket pa yun sa bandang likod para lagyan ng mga shopping bags. para masaya, makipagkarera sya sa mga batang nakasakay din sa ganun! hehehe

peace, tatang.

asan pala Christmas gift ko? :D

brainteaser said...

Salve! Kaloka ka! Mamamatay na ako sa katatawa dito! Hak hak hak! Can imagine you and him. And I see the stares ng other shoppers, specially ng mga kids na nakasakay sa cart! Hahahahahahahahahaha

Anonymous said...

Waaa Mommy Salve, asan lollipopko?

har har har!

Christmasmo? Ilista mo na lang kapatid at ibibigay ko pagdating ko.

Anonymous said...

masaya yun, tatang. i'm sure, di mananakit mga paa mo kahit from opening to closing tayo sa mall!

sherma, gawin natin yang maghapong shopping pag andito na si tatang. bigyan mo lang ng lollipop habang nakasakay sa cart nang di umiyak. hehehehe

brainteaser said...

Sure, girl! Okei lang na mag-asal bata at magturo siya ng magturo, basta ibigay niya sa atin ang kanyang VISA. Nyehehehe

Call ako diyan! Kelan tayo shopping? Hehehe