Friday, December 07, 2007

"FREELANCE"

For the past three months, the word ‘freelance’ which I had been using to describe my employment status was merely a euphemism for what I really was: (almost) jobless. For, even if I had several writing assignments, my income was almost non-existent. Pay per article is unbelievably low.

I did prepare myself for this. Even before I resigned from work, I knew it would take time before I would be able to establish myself as a freelance writer. I also knew there would be times I would feel down for not having an income. I had psyched myself beforehand not to give in to self pity when those taunting moments come, but still, when they did, it was extremely hard not to question my self-worth.

May be I could have found a new job faster if I had not laid down the rule before I resigned: that this time, I will apply only in freelance or part time jobs. During the three months I was unemployed, there were several job openings I could have applied to. When I submitted my term paper at the linguistics department of the university last September, I was told the department was looking for a researcher with knowledge in linguistics. Being a linguistics graduate from that very same department, I was encouraged to apply, and I was vastly tempted because I could be sent to other countries for fieldworks, and I could finally practice my course. But it was a fulltime job, so I didn’t.

Then Manang Linda (Bulong) told me that the UP press was in need of a copyeditor. She encouraged me to apply. Again, the temptation was so great. Who would not want to work for UP press? Even my Dungngo who knew of my freelance-only rule convinced me to apply. And honestly, I did contemplate sending in my resume, but eventually didn’t. I stuck by my rule.

There were other openings in companies I would have loved to be part of, but all were fulltime positions, so despite the encouragements I received, I did not apply. To be honest, I felt bad because I see them as doors opening, with a promise of a warm welcome and an invitation for a short peek, which I unceremoniously turned down as if I was already sure I would be allowed to linger inside.

By the third week of November, with still not many prospects of getting regular assignments besides my previous company which retained me as a contributor, I started doubting my decision. I wondered if I jumped off the cliff that was my previous job prematurely. Besides the magazines where I submitted unsolicited materials, hoping they would be published sometime in the future (say, middle of next year), there weren’t many part time/freelance jobs available, and the only company I applied to and where I did an editing exam last September had not contacted me. After two months of hearing nothing from them, I was ready to accept that my application was rejected.

“Love, saanak sa a nakapasa idiay nageksamak,” I sadly told my Dungngo late last month. “Dua a bulanen ti napalabas manipud nageksamak and I still haven’t heard from them.”

“It’s alright, love. There will be other jobs,” he answered.

I sighed. “I know that. But, well, I feel I am not good enough. I mean, I know there are others who are much better than I am, but it feels bad to realize I am not in their league.”

“Oh, Love. Don’t think that way. You are good.”

“Maybe, maybe not.”

He sighed, lost for words, so I added, “Sorry, love, but I can’t help it. I am a positive thinker, you know that, and I believe in what I can do. Pero, siempre, I also cannot help feeling down from time to time. I’ve read about how retirees sometimes feel when all of a sudden they find themselves with nothing much to do. I think that’s how I feel right now. A retiree. Except that I am not their age! Waaaaaaaaaaa!”

“Heh! Saan man a ti la ibagbagam.” He said, laughing at the funny sound I made. “Just wait, love. Something will come up. While waiting, aramidem pay laeng dagitay intedko nga assignments mo.”

“Ooooopppps! Wen aya!” I suddenly perked up, blessing him for pulling me out of my ensuing depression. Yes, indeed, I had a lot of things to do. I might be jobless, but my hands were full. During the past months, I was busy polishing my Iluko (Ilokano), busy writing my assignments for Health and Lifestyle, busy trying to write iluko short stories, busy learning poetry, busy revisiting Japanese poetry forms (haiku), busy setting aside my thesis (hehehe), busy reading pocket books, busy writing blog materials, busy doing my hobbies, and of course, busy sleeping.

So though in my heart, I knew I wanted the part-time editing job so much because with it I could work at home on my own time, and of course, there would be regular pay checks, I had accepted that I failed. So I launched my plan B which was to try to become a regular contributor in other magazines. I studied several magazines, took note of the kind of articles they publish, the length and tone of the articles, the magazines’ readership profiles, and so on. I short listed some magazines where I would want to try to get regular assignments. I also started writing travel articles not only because almost every magazine has a travel section, but because I wanted to break into this genre.

I even put into action my plan C, which I will not talk about for the time being. Yes, I think I was beginning to feel desperate.

But last Monday, my dream company — the one I thought did not want me — contacted me, inviting me for an interview. I was ecstatic! During the interview last Tuesday, I learned that their selection process had been tedious, that they gave examinations to hundreds of applicants, that’s why it took them a long time to process the applications.

And today… wow! I feel so blessed. I was again invited to visit them. Not for interview, but for contract signing! All of a sudden, I was pulled out of a dark abyss. My prayers have just been answered. Now, I can say I am indeed a freelance writer-editor without the shadows of the word “bum” hanging over me every time I blurt out the word.

Yes, my ‘bumship’ days are over.


Sherma E. Benosa
06 December 2007; 9:34pm

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Felicitations Mlle!

Margaret T said...

Hi Sherma!

Wow! Congrats! That's great! Anyway, I wonder now that you're an editor, if I could contribute to your paper?

Also, I know of an academic freelance writing job and they start pay per page (275 words) at $3/page. Pls try to send your resume and subject of expertise to care4com@yahoo.co.uk ATTN: Josh White. They usually send an essay exam of 5 pages, then, if you pass, that's it. It takes about only 24 hrs then they start sending you tasks. You may request as many tasks as you can, and the highest i got so far was 18K in a 15-day period. But at least, I can attend to my 3 kids!

take care & best regards!

Marge

brainteaser said...

Thank you, Marge!

I used to edit Health and Lifestyle, but now that I’ve resigned, they have a new editor. I can email you the contact details and everything. They welcome unsolicited contributions for the travel, arts, and dining sections but they usually assign the main features (health and lifestyle) because the magazine is thematic. To get assignments, you may send them your sample works.

Addaka kadi laeng ditoy Pilipinas, gayyem? If you are, I can send you copies of the magazine so you can review it. Or you can get copies at National Bookstore. No addaka ditoy Manila, we can meet somewhere ta ikkanka lattan. :-) Makapagkape ken innestoriaanta metten, hehehehe…

I am checking other magazines also. If you want, I can send you their email addresses so you can inquire from them the types of materials they need (ta isu met planok nga aramiden, gayyem).

If you would leave your email address, I’d send you contact numbers, gayyem. Wenno adda kadi idiay profile mo idiay i.com? :-)

Ala, good luck to both of us, Friend. Hi to your kids. :-) And thank you for the info. :-) Take care. :-)

Admin said...

Hey gayyem! Congrats! Kunak no agsublika ulit iti lubong a pinanawam.

Damagek laeng no adda e-file-mon kadaydiay photos ti anibersario ti GMM. Dumawatak koma for our blog tapno mai-uploadko. Or no adda met short storym kadayta a pasken we can include also tapno medio adda basaentayo.

Thanks again.