Monday, July 09, 2007

"BUNGEE" JUMPING

(Reversible Suicide Part II)

Soon, it’s jump time once again. This next jump would be the biggest — and the riskiest — jump of my career. But somehow, I don’t feel as scared as I was in my previous jumps. Come to think of it, I was hardly scared then.

During my previous jumps, I was aware that there was no net to catch me. But I was also sure of the things I could do, of the things I could offer, so I never worried about not landing on solid ground. And solid ground, I always found.

This time, however, I am sure there is a net somewhere — a net that would prevent me from hitting the ground with a loud thud, in case I fail. And this time, I am not in it alone; I am jumping off with dear friends (Celestine, Salve and my brother Ogie). So though the stakes are much higher now than in any of the jumps I did before, the fear of failing still remains alien to me.

In fact, I am already excited. Why wouldn’t I be? As my friends and I come closer and closer to the jump day, the brighter our idea becomes. The closer we examine it for loop holes, the more perfect it seems.

I really do hope we'll succeed, because, more than anything, this might just be my chance to prove that I am right in believing that I need not leave the country to do well; that though the road I’ve chosen is longer and more steep, it too leads there (wherever there is). Or, does it? Hmm...


__________
(Side Story)
On Staying Behind…

It was with the carelessness of a child when I said to myself when I was 10 years old that I will never work in a foreign country, that I will travel abroad only to visit, never to work. I can easily extricate myself from that promise (on the ground that it was made before I even reached the age when I could make sound decisions)but I have always tried to uphold it.

It is not for nationalistic reasons (“the country needs excellent professionals here”) that I chose to stay, although of course I also like to think that by staying here, I am doing something for the country. [But then again, aren’t those who have left the ones saving the country from financial crisis through their remittances? Hmmm…]

I stayed because I’ve decided I cannot make the sacrifice of being away from my family for years. I always had this fear of leaving my loved ones breathing and healthy, though sad of my departure, only to find them cold and lifeless on my return. And, if that isn’t bad enough, how about not being able to see them one last time before they are buried (like what happened to my brother Ogie who was in the US for a five-month training when Inang Pacing died)?

Although it can be said that technically I, too, had not been with Inang and Amang when they took their final breaths, I was able to go home as often as I could before they died. And I was able to spend quality time with them, and store good memories of them to last me a lifetime.

So my reason for staying is selfish really, but going home every now and then, and sharing a laugh or two with the people I love so much is more important for me than hauling money ten or more times faster than I can do here.

Of course, there are times that I feel I should have left too (especially during hard times), but when I am able to tease my parents and pester my brothers and sisters-in-law face to face, when I can hug my nephew and kiss my grandmother, I know I’ve made the right decision.

And with this jump my friends and I are about to make, maybe… just maybe, this issue will be put to rest.


[Although there is a big possibility I will have to spend a few years abroad too… IF… hmmm… ironic talaga ang buhay! Waaaaaaa!]


*If you want to read Reversible Suicide, click http://dwickedangel.blogspot.com/2006/03/reversible-suicide.html

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

More than a year ago now, I once told you that "rolling stones gather no moss".

This time, I’ll let you use my guiding principle I based from the book 'NobleHouse' -"at 30, I should get my first drop dead silver spoon".

"Bungee jumping" is a good choice. It represents caution and recourse until conditions are perfect for the jump.

Good luck MSB!

brainteaser said...

Hey VF! My, aren't we serious today? Hmmm... what can I say, buddy? Thanks! But tell me, why the transformation? Why did you, all of a sudden, decide to shrug off your "blah-bbering" double?

I think I like you more when you are like this... serious, no-nonsense. (He he he, before you go a-frowning, let me say this: I also like you when you are being annoyingly makulit. Puts a smile on my face).

Ei... If I really do decide to go bungee jumping, would you be the rope? And can you also act as "the net"?

brainteaser said...

Or would you rather jump with me? Hmmm...

Anonymous said...

I'd rather fly!

HEK HEK HEK!

Angel as you are maybe, but I doubt if you can flap your wings!

Here's the deal, show me some strenght and I'll be your Superman.

Just remember that Superman can't fly with "Kryptonites".

Anonymous said...

it's gonna be a fun jump, girl! i'm sure of it. because (sing!)"we're all in this together..." (pahiram muna, high school musical, ha :D)

brainteaser said...

Okei, come on, girl... Put your hands together... "We're all... ready... SING!"

"We're all in this together, together, together..."

Hak hak hak!

Anonymous said...

ei, let me ask you both:

'you jumping up or down?

brainteaser said...

Good question, VF!

But first, tell me, what does it mean when we jump up? How about if we jump down?

Anonymous said...

...not only for the better, I suppose?

I only grab for the best anyway so you should know what I mean...

brainteaser said...

But I want you to tell me exactly what you mean! Huuuu!