Sunday, July 29, 2007

Magical Objects in Harry Potter

The fifth installment of the Harry Potter (HP) movie and the seventh and final installment of the HP book have spawned frenzy among the enlightened muggles (HP fans for those who can’t relate, like “Tatang." Hehehehe), among them, Tayns and Salve.

In fact, Salve has devoted two entries on Harry Potter (one for the movie and another for the book) in her blog (http://www.salvacion.wordpress.com/). Even Celestine who has gotten her copy of the book, but hasn’t read it yet because she is supposed to be busy reviewing for her exams this week, has managed to write an entry in her blog (http://www.celestinerb.wordpress.com/) about how excited she is to read the book (talk about reviewing).

I’ve seen the movie and I like it, but I will no longer write something about it because Salve has done a good job at it. And since I haven’t read the book yet (I’ll borrow Salve’s Tuesday next week), I obviously can’t write my views on it yet. So what I’m going to do instead is feature two of the magical objects in Harry Potter that I like (and wish to have).

Mirror of Erised (introduced in Book 1). The mirror, according to Dumbledore, "shows us nothing more or less than the deepest, most desperate desire of our hearts." He adds that only the happiest of men would see himself as he is when he looks into it.

In one of my entries in this blog, I’ve asked my readers what they think they’d see if they were to look into the magical mirror (Celestine has posted an entry about it in her blog). But I have not answered it then. Let me answer the question now:

I’d see myself hugging the man I love so much, and hearing him tell me over and over that he is alright now… that there’s nothing for me to worry about; things will push through as planned.

The Pensieve (introduced in Book 3). The pensieve is a shallow stone basin with odd carvings of runes and symbols around the edge into which one can store one’s thoughts and memories to relieve one’s mind of too much information. Dumbledore explains to Harry that he sometimes finds that he simply has too many thoughts and memories crammed into his mind, and so he siphons off the excess thoughts and pours them into the basin.

Wouldn’t it be nice if we can also unload our thoughts onto something that can hold them safely, whenever the going gets tough? Then we can just let go of the hurtful memories and painful thoughts that we have. Then it would be easier for us to get moving.

But then again, it may also not be a good idea, for what would we be without our memories — the good and the bad? Aren’t these things help define who we are?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tried to read the first book before but I just can’t stand those unpronounceable names and places mentioned –typical British ei?

There is but one ‘magical thing’ that worked perfectly tho. ‘Veritatum-Amore’ -a potion I concocted and used to make ‘somebody’ confess her ‘wicked’ feelings to me!

Walandyo, I didn’t foresee the consequences! Ako ren, nainlab!

Anonymous said...

the pensive will be useful once you have memory gaps.hehehe. store the nice memories in a vial and pour them in the basin when you want to remember.

vf, ang corny mo! hahaha!

brainteaser said...

Ha ha ha! Hey Salve, that's a good idea! brilliant ka talaga, girl! May business proposition ako. Magtayo tayo ng pagawaan ng vials na may magical enchantments. I'm sure marami tayong magiging customers... yung mga matatanda malapit nang magka-dementia.

(No, I'm not talking about VF. Or am I? Nyehehehe).

Ei VF. Either your potion backfired, buddy, or that you already harbored feelings for that somebody beforehand. Why else would you want to know how that somebody feels for you if you didn't have special feelings for her? Huuuuuu... Corny ka nga!

Anonymous said...

What "corny" are you talking about?

I am just trying to understand your childish imaginations -Harry Potter for the last trip passenger ei?

Tut tut tut...

HAK HAK HAK!