Tuesday, February 14, 2006

The Power of Love

D'wicked Angel Gets Senti


I love you.

Just three little words, but they could mean the whole world when spoken by the right person at the right time. So powerful are these words that they can heal even the deepest wounds and erase even the most excruciating of pains. So magical they are that they could bury hatred and bring out the best in a person.

When I was younger, I used to think love was something synonymous to romance; that is was as simple as buying flowers or chocolates and dating, and kissing, and fighting then making up, and other romantic stuff lovers do.

That’s why I never understood why people act crazy when they are in love; why people wear that funny love-is-in-the-air smile when they think of their loved ones. I thought love was overrated. That is why I always dismissed it as something I can do without.

Until it happened. I fell in love. And my world was never the same again. There was a whole new meaning to my life. There was gladness in my heart. And suddenly, love became relevant. It became my life.

Coming head on with love had me thinking that not even the most comprehensive definition Mr. Webster has come up with could completely grasp the meaning of the word. Not even the most romantic poet can describe it.

Love is real. It is all-consuming. It is so powerful that it moved me. It changed me. It has sent me to the highest clouds. It made me come alive.

And when I said the words to him, I meant them. I loved him. And he thought he was very lucky. I thought I was luckier. It was perfect. We were happy.

But it wasn’t meant to be. So he had to walk out on me, but he wouldn't. It would break his heart to do so, so I broke mine by doing it for him. And he thanked me, and respected me, and perhaps, loved me more.

Love is powerful. It can bring out the best in a person. Just when there was nothing I wanted more in this world than to be with him, I set him free. Just when I finally learned what love was, I let it go. Because I finally understood what it was, I made love rule me.

Sigh!

[seb/2002]

No comments: