Thursday, February 09, 2006

The Challenge

I’ve always labeled classic literature as boring. Somehow, works in this genre fail to make me want to read on until the last page. I’m not sure if it’s the language used or the milieu in which these works were written, but it’s a real effort for me to keep going.

But even with this difficulty, I believe I ought to read the classics, if I want to be truly “literate.” Salve and Celestine, who were extremely surprised when they learned I got through high school without reading a single novel by William Shakespeare, Nathaniel Thorton, and the like, think so, too. In fact, they’ve been encouraging me to read the works for as long as I can remember, giving me pointers on how to get through, if not enjoy, them. And every time I survey Salve’s collection of “oldies,” somehow I feel compelled to read each one of them.

I did attempt to, several times. But each time, I always ended up dropping whatever classic it was I was trying to drum into my mind, before I even got to Chapter 3.

So I devised a way for me to coerce myself into reading these “unreadables” — by employing the punishment-and-reward system.

Here’s how it goes:

Challenge: By the end of 2006, I should have read all the books listed below (classics and non-classics alike).

Rationale: The challenge won't only give me the chance to finally get acquainted with the characters that graced the pages of classic English literature. Toward the end of the year, I'd likewise be able to find out how disciplined I am. (If I'd pass this challenge, then I'd know I have enough discipline to see me through greater endeavors; However, if I'd fail it, then I'd know I lack self-discipline. I would then be able to design measures to correct my weakness).

Classics
To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee)
Mythology (Edith Hamilton)
Emma (Jane Austen)
The Scarlet Letter (Nathaniel Thorthone)
Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Mark Twain)
Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte)
Paradise Lost and Paradise Regained (Milton)
Adventures of Oliver Twist (Charles Dickens)
The Prince and the Pauper (Mark Twain)


Non-classics
The Partner (John Grisham)
The King of Torts (John Grisham)
Obstruction of Justice (Perri O’Shaughnessy)
The Last Promise (Richard Paul Evans)

The Runaway Jury (John Grisham)
Lean Against the Wind (James McKarns)
Eleven Minutes (Paulo Coelho)
Da Vinci Code (Dan Brown)
The Prince of Tides (Pat Conroy)
The Chamber (John Grisham)
Angels and Demons (Dan Brown)

(Legend: Finished reading; Untouched: Ongoing)


Reward: Buy myself the white gold necklace I really want without feeling guilty.

Punishment: Treat Elaine, Chie, Jing, Salve and Celestine to lunch or dinner (Am still thinking whether I should include Lorien or not). And more important: refrain from bullying these five (or six, I haven’t decided yet) imps for a whole month.

Rationale: These girls definitely won’t let me off the hook if I fail the challenge. Hence, they’d be keeping an eye on me. Knowing that, I’d of course persevere. Likewise, for an innate bully like me, having to go against my nature, even for just a month, would kill me. I'm sure I won't last a month without doing some bullying spree.

So there's the challenge. We’ll see how I’d fare.


Note: This particular entry will be updated regularly to show my progress.

3 comments:

brainteaser said...

Am nearly through Wuthering Heights. Though it's taking me much longer to finish it compared with the time it takes me to read a contemporary book, and i get confused now and then, i have to say the book managed to make me want to finish it by the time i got to chapter 8. Yup, I like the book already. We'll see if I'd like its ending as well.

Anonymous said...

...Classics will show you the cultured world of past glories! They can still be useful as a reference to this so-called modern, yet unforgiving world!

(Reading)Non-classics -is finding your way to confront the challenges of today’s materialistic society!

Read Noble House for money and Far Pavilions for romance!

Hello Wicked Sherma!...

The Professor

brainteaser said...

Hay! Finally, I finished "Wuthering Heights." It took me 6 nights to read it (3 times longer than the time it normally takes me to read a "normal" novel. Will post a book review when I have the time. Hehehe. 1 book down!