Monday, May 19, 2008

Truth vs. Deceit: A Tale

.
Deeply confused and utterly sad, Truth decided to consult with the Lord.

“Lord," he said in a barely audible voice. "I am confused. You said that I am beautiful, but why is it that when I present myself to people, they would not look at me directly, and would rather look the other way? You said I am good, but why can’t I help hurting people? You said that Deceit is evil, but why is he capable of making people feel better, even if there are times he hurt them as well? You said Deceit is ugly, but why do people stare at him with so much awe?”

The Lord smiled sympathetically. He walked over to Truth, and held him by his shoulders. “My child," He said softly, looking deeply into Truth's troubled eyes. "Do not despair. You are beautiful and pure. You shine so brightly, people cannot bear to look at you directly. They either put a veil over their eyes to see you, or use a mirror to get a glimpse of you, not realizing that though these instruments aid them, they blur you, hence they don’t see you in your full splendor.

“You are good; you do not really hurt people, you just crush their egos. Indeed, Deceit is ugly, but don’t forget that he is a master of disguise. He can change his black cloak into a rainbow, so that those who have not seen your grandeur are amazed at how lovely he seems, and they stare at him with great admiration.

“He is evil, because by not showing his real self to people, he dims you. But do not fret, my child. There are those who are brave enough who choose to look at you directly, without any veil, without the need for mirrors. They see you, and they love you. And to them, your beauty is beyond compare." The Lord patted Truth in the back. "Go forth my child, for you are loved.”

Feeling better, Truth thanked the Lord then walked happily back to his world, where he shone and shone brightly, giving light to the whole world. He’s still there, standing magnificently for all of us to see. Sometimes we see him, sometimes we don’t.

Often, we profess our love for him. But... do we really?


//Sherma E. Benosa
19 May 2008; 11:40am

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh this is such a lovely little story. You write this type of story VERY well. But them you ARE very creative. I liked this. It is a good thing to remember because there have been times that I was very loving and kind to someone and they actually didn't want kindness or love and that was a shocker for me, a first. Then a friend of mine told me that it is sometimes easier for some people to not look at truth, love, kindness, because it means they would have to change and grow. I'd never thought of that before. You work is so beautiful. I started reading this yesterday (I think it was yesterday and then got called out so I am glad I got to come back yesterday). BIG HUGS, Robin

brainteaser said...

Hello Robin! I missed you! Thank you always! :-)

You know what, I like what you just said, or what you said your friend told you about how it is easier for some people to NOT look at truth because looking at it directly means having to change and to grow!

Come to think of it, that's a good explanation. We admire good things, except that we do not want to change! Ah, humans....