Thursday, November 22, 2007

TRUST AND DECEIT

Almost everyone professes to be honest, to value honesty, but if everyone truly practices what he or she professes, then why are there so many lies staring us in the face?

Lies and damn lies — they are what make the world go round. And I’ve been too naïve not to know it. Too stupid to insist on speaking the truth, when the way to getting through the maze of life is to say what people want to hear.

To say things in spite of your convictions.

To flatter people even if you don’t believe in what you are saying.

Why did I let the shell I so carefully built around me be broken by the sweet voice of the angel of pretense? Why did I take the seemingly soft and reliable hand offered to me when every sense of my being was shouting “beware?”

I should have heeded my instinct. “Angels are too good to be true.”

I should have listened to reason. “You love logic; be logical.”

But I didn’t and now I am here. I trusted and now I’ve just been proven wrong. Why did I choose to throw away caution when I knew it is the only thing that is reliable both in good times and in times of trouble?

I should have known better. I should have never lowered my guard.

My whole being still aches from the punches I just received. But my heart hurts more from the betrayal of the one person I thought was a friend.

Ah, I think I have to put on my protective shell once again.


//Sherma E. Benosa
22 November 2007; 2:05am

No comments: