Saturday, November 03, 2007

"Bumship" Report: How Am I Faring?

It’s been two months since I became a freelance writer. My life has considerably become much simpler and less stressful since I left my fulltime job. In fact, I have managed to see a good part of my province, and I’ve written a travel piece about it. I’ve likewise managed to squeeze into my daily itinerary (which consists mainly of writing, eating, and talking to my Dungngo) occasional walks in parks and aerobics.

How have I fared during the past two months? Let me see.

In the first two weeks I wrote one medical article, though I spent most of my energy relaxing and being with the family, and getting to know more about my home province. I also spent a lot of time with my nephew Pau.

In the last three weeks, I’ve written another four magazine articles for publication (two medical and two travel), finished my term paper (thanks, Dungngo), and conducted some researches on magazines where I can contribute. I’ve also watched a play at Greenbelt 1 and attended an art exhibit at UP Vargas Museum. Likewise, I’ve polished my pen (poetry and essay). So far, I’ve written about three essays, one Iluko short story, one english short story, and several poems. I’ve also made two videos (thanks again, Dungngo), edited my Dungngo’s short story and co-authored a nobe-nobela at my blog in Iluko.com. Right now, I am writing an article and I’ve got another one lined up for next week.

I think I’ve been productive during the past two months of my “bumship.” Only, most of my outputs are for personal pleasure (blog posts for blogger and iluko.com… hehehe). So while in the next two months I think I’d be doing pretty much the same, I’d endeavor now to write more “for publication” pieces. Practice time is up. I think it’s about time I churn out more publish-worthy pieces.

________
I think I’d still try to find a part time job — one that would give me regular assignments but won’t ask me to regularly report for work. (Kung bakit kasi puro full-time ang offer! Waaaa!)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

girl, i'm thinking of quiting my job, too. i'm so tired most of the time. what do you think?

brainteaser said...

Hi Girl! How are you? Hmmmm...

First, I'd ask you to read my post, "Reversible Suicide." Makaka-relate ka doon, girl because it talks of my "jumping off a cliff" moments.

I think you just know when it's time to leave. You just feel it. Maybe you are at a point when you are feeling the signs and symptoms of "wanting to jump off."

You are the one who can decide if you should do it now, girl. Look at your finances first... and your monthly bills. If you have saved up enough to get on by for say three months without a job (worst scenario)... then maybe you can quit now.

Another thing you can do, girl, is explore first. Try to submit applications; resign only when you have been accepted to a company you think is better than your current.

Either way, you have to map out several plans (Plan A, Plan B, Plan C) and prepare for the worst while hoping for the best.

Good luck, Girl. You are talented, and a good worker. I'm sure you can find better employment elsewhere... something more rewarding than your current.

brainteaser said...

I think you also have to list down the things you like about your job as well as the things you hate. That way, you'll have a clearer idea of what to look for when you are scouting a job.

If you are worried about finding another job, the truth girl is that there are a lot of jobs out there. I'm sure you can easily find one that you like, what with your qualifications and experience.

Still, I'd advise you to be prudent.

Good luck girl. Love yah!

Margaret T said...

Hi...

I was just wondering where you publish your works...
also
if you would be interested for some freelance research essay tasks... academic in form... :)

brainteaser said...

Hello, pardon me friend! Just saw your post! Am so sorry.

Right now, I publish them at Health and Lifestyle, a local magazine about health. I also send short stories to Philippine Graphic but very seldom lang. :-)
At the moment, I am hoping to get introduced to other magazines, hehehe. Kaloka, mahirap maging unknown! :-)

Yes, I like writing academic papers and essays as well.

Hey, friend, are you a writer, too? Glad to meet you! :-) Good luck to you. If I can help you in anyway, my email address is in my profile. Or, if you could help me, wow,I welcome that! Nyehehehe