Thursday, January 11, 2007

The "Presence"

My plan was to fix my room first before I sit down in front of my PC to work on my class requirements. So I strode to my outer door, reached for the doorknob, turned it, and was about to pull the door open when I sniffed a familiar scent that froze me on the spot; my heart pounding fast, my knees weakening, and my senses sharpening with utmost dread.

I willed my weakened hand that was still on the doorknob to turn the metal and re-lock the door; my intent to get the soft broom just outside it now completely abandoned. I psyched myself into thinking my imagination was just playing a trick on me — but it didn’t work. The scent was just too strong for me to ignore.

But where could it be coming from? I had not lighted a candle, and I do not have a single ordinary candle in my room (I have but one candle sitting on my center table, but it is scented… and unlit). But my room did smell like someone had lighted one then put it off just inches away from me.

I uttered a prayer and told myself to calm down. With trembling knees, I forced myself to walk to my inner room. Once inside, I sat down on my chair, turned on my PC, and forced my fingers to tap on the keyboard and write this piece. I did not strive to ignore the unwelcome “presence”; it would be ineffective, I knew. Instead, I did quite the reverse. I acknowledged it and chronicled it. That didn’t chase the scent nor my fear of it away, but it did stop my overactive mind from forming images that would further frighten me.



//Note: It’s been 15 minutes since I first smelled it; but the scent still lingers, though less sharper now. I am still feeling weak, my heart is still beating hard, and my mind has now gone half-crazy. I am now contemplating of bursting into tears, but some kind of strength is emanating within me, inspiring me to calm down.

Slowly I am calming down. But the dread of this night — January 10, 2007, 10:19PM —shall forever be etched in my mind.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I, too, have felt a presence. I and the entire grade six class of 1983. We were in the middle of our Social Studies class - it was 3pm- when we felt a cold chill even in the stillness of that warm afternoon. The cold presence seem to have sauntered in to our room, coming from our main door in through the middle of the room leading to the blackboards and into the clinic. Followed by a faint smell of candles that only the people who were seated near the rows of desk - starting from the door to the clinic - could smell. We all fell silent. No one dared to ask what just happened. We sat there - stunned. We continued with our lesson but our hearts were beating wildly.

Anonymous said...

hehehe! Ako ren, nakita kita -nakabannikes!

Tiliwenka koma ta ipabuya ka diay karnabal, numona ta umasidegen ti Pebrero, piesta diay Laoag!

Anong saymo?

Are you sure it was not my Armani you 'sniffed' Ms. Benosa? Next time grab it, that's my alter-ego!

Hek hek hek!

Anonymous said...

There's a scientific explanation to what you have experienced!

Contrary to popular notion, UNLIT scented candles can still emit fragrance that is sweet, soothing, earthy (or heavenly?), etc.

That's exactly what happened to that one scented UNLIT candle in your room. It was undergoing a process called "sublimation" in the field of science- a very, very, very slow sublimation, though.

Sublimation is the transition of an element or compound from solid state directly to the gaseous state.

brainteaser said...

heyyo, taga-narvacan. Am glad to hear that. Please tell me: Ania ti scent na diay scented candle undergoing sublimation? How long does the scent emitted last? How frequent does sublimation happen?

i hope you'd come back and answer these questions. because i'm wondering: apay nga idi laeng a napasamak?

Anonymous said...

Sublimation can only occur on some specific and unstable compounds but never with wax and petrol, -the prime components of candles. If, by any chance that there is an unknown chemical component added and susceptible to sublimation, the chance of dissipating and smelling the odor of the candle is very minimal, even remote.

You need energy equivalent to 100 degrees Centigrade (heat) to release a burnt odor. Unless you put it under your sheets hehehehe!

Now, I know one that sublimates: My Soul, Ms. Benosa

Har har har!

Anonymous said...

Miss Hyanni, remember, when you were little, the moth balls that your grandma put in your trunk of clothing? They're good insect repellant because of the pungent smell from these moth balls. These moth balls contain napthalene- a compound that easily "sublimates".

The scented candle in your room (though unlit) emits that sweet odor because the fragrance oil that is mixed with the candle wax is "sublimating"- may not be as easy as the napthalene in the moth balls but, still, it is some "form" of "sublimation".

There's always a scientific explanation to "things that go bump in the night". I don't believe in ghosts and never will...

brainteaser said...

The rational part of me does not believe in ghosts. But the irrational part — waaaa, agrungaab no nasipnget!

Sometimes I tell myself, "imagination mo laeng dayta." I also keep thinking of my dad's line when we were little: "Nakakitakayo kadin iti nagitulangan iti al-alia?"

But the imagination — of images we often see in movies — often wins no kasta nga ma-aliawak.

I'd like to say I don't believe in ghosts (the rational part of me is quite ashamed to say I do), ngem tumakder met dagiti dutdot ken aglulok met dagiti tumengko when the thought of ghosts enter my mind.

Yes, I know of moth balls. Nagusar ni Mommyk iti kasta idi ubbingkami. But I wonder, no scented candle diay adda idiay lamisaanko, di ba dapat nabanglo diay naangotko? But it wasn't. It smelled like ordinary candle.

And if sublimation is a continuous process, then apay nga idi laeng a napasamak? And why did it last only for less than an hour? Is there an activity I might have done that triggered it?

brainteaser said...

Ooooops! Sowi, diak napagtimkan ni Gayyem Alvin. Heyyo friend. What's up?

brainteaser said...

Hey MCP. Naaa! Ket yanna ngarud ta kararuamon ngay, Manong?

//Sapay koma ta makadanon idiay nakaikarianna. He he he. Peace :-)

Anonymous said...

Are ghosts real? I would like to think so. Why? It just make nights a little interesting. It's a great conversation starter. But that's me... If there is a HOLY GHOST then there might be unholy ones.

Anonymous said...

Hey MSB, my soul is all around you. Call my name and I'll be there for you.