Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Intro to "Our Responses"

Trials and challenges are what define life, and our responses to them are what define who and what we are. We can fight, and in so doing, we may get scathed, but eventually come out triumphant. Or we may lose, and go home licking our wounds; head bowed and shoulders stooped, wondering how the world could have fallen upon us.

But failure may also be a blessing in disguise. With determination strong enough to try to beat the odds one more time, and a heart in the right place, why, we may be able to stage a comeback in the end. And when that happens, the taste of success might even be sweeter than if we had not first tasted the bitterness of defeat.

For defeat never tasted sweet nor smelled good. It is so bitter that it can send a lot of people wallowing in despair. But still, its bad taste can wane with time; even the darkness of the night surrenders to the light of the sun — when it’s time.

Sooner or later, acceptance will come to our hearts — acceptance of the things that are beyond us, of the things that we cannot change. Then we will begin to see light again. We will dare hope again. And who knows, we may again be able to meet our share of trials and challenges head on, and come home scathed, but with a glitter of triumph in our eyes and a trace of smile upon our lips.


/My introduction to my reading program which I entitled, “Our Responses,” a book-type collection of poems, narratives, short stories, and plays consisting of four chapters. Each chapter consists of 2 poems, 2 narratives, 2 short stories, and 2 plays falling under a certain theme. At the end of every selection in the first chapter is a lesson plan, which includes grammar lessons, teaching strategies and comprehension and discussion questions, among others. The selections were taken from various sources: magazines, local and foreign books and the internet. I’ve read more than 200 articles in the past three months, and chose only 28 for inclusion in the project. The other four materials are mine, all unpublished.

The selection of the materials I included in my reading program is based on how I think we respond to the adversities that come our way. I am of the opinion that there are two ways we respond to trials and challenges: either fight or give in. If we fight, we may either win or lose. But if we choose to give in, we will definitely lose. And having lost, we may wallow in misery forever, or we may eventually come to accept what had been dealt us, and ultimately feel strong enough to give it a try one more time.

Chapter one of the project talks of triumph; chapter two talks of succumbing; chapter three talks of acceptance, and chapter four talks of bouncing back from our loss.


The project is one of the requirements in one of my subjects. I am now in the final stages of the project. I think I'd be able to finish it this week — I should, because I'm on the verge of going crazy. I mean, crazier that usual...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love this one; its touchin me...grrrrrrrrrrr

i could have been touch
reading lfe in a flush
must i look back of yesterday
and ponder a romantic memory
or i'll stare at the wall
and watch my teardrops fall

thanks...it won't drop

brainteaser said...

Hey Manonton dalan,

Hmmm... what can I say?
Napintas man dayta inkur-it mo.

//Sometimes, (or I think always) I feel better after a good cry...

Anonymous said...

i watch my mom's cry
barely sound of a sigh
reached her back
let her lend on me
its magical,
things calm, a melody
then i have to walk away
with heavy tears inside me
but when i reach the clouds
and the music play
can't hold it
it ooze from me

..wen agpayso

brainteaser said...

Manonton Dalan!

Mannaniw kan sa! Adda blog mo gayyem ta innak man pasiaren...

//Sherma

Anonymous said...

saringit iluko.com/ poetry, pangasinan.org. i'm not a poet i'm words assembler.thanks

Anonymous said...

psssssst



(?)

Anonymous said...

poet= people on emotional trench
psssssst= sign of dismay from european tongue
(?)= searching for an answer/ left ear

brainteaser said...

Heyyo, ManontonDalan. Howdy?

Pssst to you to, "Tatang!"

Anonymous, pssssst can also mean, "Hey!" or "Hoy!" he he he

brainteaser said...

too, kunana koma. Sowi.