Monday, July 17, 2006

The arrogance of “old age”


When my “Tatang” (not my Dad) saw a picture of me and my team, he said he would no longer read our mag because “the team is so young.” He ranted that young people don’t know much about life; hence, they don’t have much to write about. He demanded in Iluko, “Why would I read what you guys write? Reading your magazine is a waste of my time! Tell me, what do you know about life?”

Anyone who knows me would have expected me to come up with a witty comeback, and maybe, even tell my “Tatang” to get lost. But either I wasn’t myself then, or I was simply in a jovial mood, that I merely laughed at my “Tatang’s” comment; the thought of defending my team did not even cross my mind.

But then, after he had hung up and the laughter had died down, I thought I should have risen up to the challenge. Anyway, with him, I can say anything and he will just laugh it off. In fact, come to think of it, he might have even expected (or hoped?) to hear a piece of my mind about the “issue” at hand; as it was so obvious then that he was trying to “provoke” me.

It’s not yet late though. What I failed to say over the phone, I can always write in my blog, as he visits it regularly, anyway.

And what is it that I wish I should have told him?

That I think his comment reflects the arrogance of old age; that some “oldies” simply tend to underestimate what the youth are capable of, forgetting the fact that they themselves were young once; and it was in fact when they were much younger that they were most productive, and when their thinking was the sharpest.

I still have a lot of things to say on the issue, but I prefer to “resolve” them on the phone. Lagot siya kapag

“Kring… Kring…”

Ooooooppppsss! Excuse me, folks! Hehehehehe


Caption: Me and my team: Ellen, SEB, Manong Ricco and Chie. Not in photo, Ryan

No comments: